Application Checklist


How to Apply to the ELI

  1. Choose one of the application links below:
  2. If you are applying for a student (F-1) visa, also attach a Verification of Funds letter from a bank or sponsoring agency.
  3. Enclose a $50 check or money order payable to "WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY". This testing fee will not be refunded or transferred if you cancel your application.
  4. Attach a passport size photo to the bottom right-hand corner of the application form.
  5. If you are now in the U.S., please attach a copy of the first two pages of your passport and I-94 or a copy of your green card if you are a permanent resident.
Note: Incoming English Language Institute students will be given the ELI Placement Test on the first day of the semester for which they are applying.


How to Obtain a Student Visa

After receiving your I-20 A-B and admission letter from the English Language Institute, you will need to apply for your student visa at the nearest US Embassy or US Consulate. Be sure to take the following documents with you:

  • Your Form I-20 A-B
  • Admission letter
  • Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months)
  • Financial support documents

If your spouse and/or dependent child is accompanying you to the United States, he/she must also apply for a dependent (F-2) visa. Therefore, you should also present the following documents:

  • Spouse/child's passport (must be valid for at least 6 months)
  • Additional financial support documents
  • Marriage certificate
  • You should also check to see if an Exit Permit and/or Health Clearance Certificate is required by your country

Student Visa: US Department of State - Bureau of Consular Affairs

Link to US Immigration and Customs Enforcement

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement - Student/Exchange Visitors