Frequently Asked Questions

Does Wayne State University offer "Conditional Admission"?

Yes, For most degree programs at Wayne State University, students who do not have the minimum level of English language proficiency but meet all other admissions requirements are eligible for "Provisional Admission".

Do I need and AGENT to help me to apply to the English Language Institute (ELI)?

No, Applying to the ELI is easy. The ELI staff are friendly and ready to help you with your application or answer any questions that you may have. Contact if you have any questions.

What is the admissions process to enter an academic program at Wayne State University?

How can I find information about housing: dormitories and apartments?

How do I obtain a Student Visa for the USA?

After receiving your I-20 A-B and admission letter from the English Language Institute, you will need to apply for your    student visa at the nearest US Embassy or US Consulate. Be sure to take the following documents with you:

  • Your Form I-20 A-B
  • Admission letter
  • Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months)
  • Financial support documents

If your spouse and/or dependent child is accompanying you to the United States, he/she must also apply for a dependent (F-2) visa. Therefore, you should also present the following documents:

  • Spouse/child's passport (must be valid for at least 6 months)
  • Additional financial support documents
  • Marriage certificate
  • You should also check to see if an Exit Permit and/or Health Clearance Certificate is required by your country

Student Visa: US Department of State - Bureau of Consular Affairs

What are the requirements to claim Michigan residency?

You can claim in-state classification for tuition purposes if:

  • You lived in Michigan more than six months prior to your first term of full time registration.
  • You took a break in your education for six or more months while remaining in Michigan.
  • You came to Michigan for reasons other than education (job relocation, parent relocation, spouse or domestic partner relocation).
  • You are a veteran or a member of military family.
  • You had a temporary absence from Michigan.
  • Your Visa type changed from an F1 Student Visa to U.S. Citizenship; permanent resident; work permit; asylum; or visa types A, E, G, H, I, L, R, or TN.

You will NOT qualify for in-state tuition if:

  • You came to Michigan for educational purposes. Did you register as a full time student within six months of your arrival in the state? Have you continued as a full time student since your arrival in Michigan. If yes to these questions, do not apply.
  • You have an F1 Student Visa.
  • You are in a medical residency, fellowship, or internship.
  • Your employment is a temporary or short-term job or a position normally held by a student.

For more information, contact the ELI Director.

Do I need to present TOEFL® or IELTS® scores with my ELI Application?

No. ELI does not require English proficiency test scores prior to entering the Intensive English Program. ELI Applicants will be tested upon arrival to the ELI and placed in the appropriate level of the Intensive Language Program.

How can I arrange transportation from the airport to Wayne State University?

ELI does not provide transportation between the airport and campus at this time. The Above Excellent Transportation shuttle services provide transportation to and from the Detroit Metro Airport and their rates are much lower than regular cab services. In order to receive the discount, you have to mention that you are a Wayne State University student when you make your reservation.

What are the directions to the English Language Institute?

351 Manoogian Hall
906 West Warren                 
Detroit, MI 48202
ELI Location on WSU Campus Map
Google Maps to ELI